Your Guide to Mocktails
As you are working to enhance your fertility efforts, you may find it challenging to transition into some of the more strict lifestyle changes. For most people, the thought of skipping that well-deserved glass of wine at the end of the workday can seem harsh. Whether it is a weekly treat or something reserved for weekends, it is hard to give anything up cold turkey.
Here at Naturna, we tend to suggest pressing pause on drinking or putting some strict limitations on consumption. This is because alcohol tends to be loaded with sugar and sugar tends to put a major damper on your fertility journey due to its ethanol content. It enters your bloodstream at the speed of light. You may not realize how much sugar is in your drinks until it is too late.
Not to mention booze has a tremendous negative effect on the mental aspect of conception. Drinking might feel good in the moment, but in the days to follow, not so much. You may feel foggy or notice an increase in your anxiety or depression in the days following a night out. This is because alcohol kills all the healthy bacteria in your gut, which directly affects your mood. Even when consumed in moderation, it tends to hinder one’s ability to function for optimal fertility.
We understand this can be difficult, especially in a setting where drinking feels more encouraged. However, we have just the thing. Here are some of our favorite mocktail recipes to have in your arsenal when you are craving your favorite drink. Looking for healthy alternatives to some of your less healthy habits makes all the difference on your path to baby. Not to mention, some of these mocktails have wonderful health benefits. Here is what you will need:
Ginger Pear Cider with Vanilla Bean:
- 2 ripe pears
- Fresh ginger root
- 1 piece of vanilla bean
- 1 ¼ cups of filtered water
- ½ teaspoon of sweetener (maple syrup, stevia, etc)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor, minus the sweetener and lemon juice. Blend until smooth puree.
- Once blended, use a strainer and pour the puree into a saucepan on medium-high heat
- Once desired heat, add the sweetener of your choice and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Strawberry Orange Mango Kombucha Mocktail:
- 16 oz of unflavored original kombucha
- 2 cups of 100% orange juice
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 cups of freshly chopped strawberries
- Add all ingredients to a large pitcher and enjoy!
- Optional: add to blender and make a puree!
- Serve and enjoy!
Jasmine Ginger Iced Tea:
- 1 lime
- 4 ounces of brewed jasmine green tea (chilled)
- 4 ounces of ginger beer (chilled)
- 1 chopped strawberry (optional for garnish)
- Add all ingredients to a pitcher and enjoy
- Garnish with fruit of your choice
Academy of Culinary Nutrition. (2022, December 29). 20 best healthy mocktails. Academy of Culinary Nutrition. Retrieved January 2, 2023, from https://www.culinarynutrition.com/20-best-healthy-holiday-mocktails/