Holistic Remedies and Acupuncture for Relieving Irregular Period Symptoms
Do you suffer from irregular menses such as painful periods, heavy flow, or none at all? The good news is, acupuncture and various holistic remedies can help relieve these monthly symptoms and possibly restore balance!
How Acupuncture Can Help
Acupuncture is an excellent, gentle, and effective way of treating both the symptoms and root cause of your irregular period no matter which of the above mentioned patterns you suffer from! It can help regulate the feedback loop between your brain and body connection via communication between the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and ovaries. This will help properly circulate the different hormones during each phase of your cycle to promote healthy, regular cycles. Acupuncture can also support the healthy growth of eggs, which leads to more regular phases of the cycle, thereby helping create a more reliable menstrual cycle. It also balances the primary hormones that regulate your cycle. These hormones include estrogen, progesterone, LH, insulin and testosterone. For those suffering from painful periods, acupuncture is known to promote blood flow and reduce inflammation.
Other Holistic Remedies to Consider
There are many at-home/DIY remedies to treat irregular menstrual symptoms but most of them include some form of clean eating and exercise. Take a look at the suggestions below and maybe give some of them a try!
Dysmenorrhea (painful periods)
- Avoid foods that contain caffeine. Try a caffeine alternative such as green tea or matcha.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. I think this one speaks for itself.
- Massage your lower back and abdomen. You can either ask a friend, loved one, or treat yourself to a nice massage!
Menorrhagia (heavy periods)
- Stay extra hydrated by drinking water and electrolyte based drinks.
- Eat vitamin C-rich foods such as red and green peppers, kiwis, and broccoli. Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron, which can prevent anemia.
- Increase your iron intake by eating more iron-rich foods such as chicken, beans, and spinach.
Amenorrhea (scanty or no periods)
- Eat a wide variety of whole foods to ensure proper weight maintenance and intake of necessary nutrients.
- Eat foods high in B vitamins and essential fatty acids (EFA) to aid in healthy hormone balance and production. Some examples include kale (B vitamins), walnuts (EFA), and salmon (EFA).
- Reduce your daily stress by regularly exercising, meditating, or doing yoga.
Regardless of which type of irregular period you suffer from, there are so many holistic ways to treat the symptoms as a whole. Additionally, check with your healthcare practitioner about supplements they can recommend for you. Most of the time, diet alone unfortunately doesn’t provide enough of what we need to make significant changes. Please remember that it is important to seek professional help from your OBGYN or medical doctor in combination with acupuncture and these DIY remedies listed above. There is no need to fret ladies because there is so much hope for relief – you just have to find what works best for you!
“How to Stop Heavy Periods: 22 Options for Treatment” Healthline Newsletter,
Rodriguez, Hethir “How to Get Your Period Back” Natural Fertility Info: Your
Complete Source for Fertility Information & Products,